Thursday, March 26, 2009

Gardening Tips for Beautiful Roses!


I have this wonderful book, which I have been looking for for months and finally found it! It has great gardening tips, which I am going to start sharing with you, especially since many of us will be planting gardens this year!

This post will be about Roses, all colors and kinds! So here is some great information on how to have the most beautiful and healthy roses without tons of work! I love them, but don't want to be a slave to them!

The secret to beautiful roses during the growing season ~ keep your roses clean, well trimmed and fed regularly. When purchasing roses look for healthy rose bushes, if they are packaged, make sure the buds are not dried out, the sprouts aren't long and yellow, and lastly the top wood isn't black or brown!

When you select a location for your roses, it should be a sunny location. The soil should be light, crumbly and rich with leaves, peat moss, cow manure and other organic matter.

If your soil is clay or hard, add 3-4 handful of gypsum to the sides and bottom of the hole. Also add 2 Cups of Epsom Salts sprinkled dry on the soil each spring. In the bottom of each hole, add a handful of Epsom Salts and bone meal whenever you plant a rose!

Plant your roses per the instructions which come with them, water them well! Then use this "Special Start Up Meal". You will be surprised what the ingredients are and many of them are already in your home. I try to use natural items when gardening, and resort only to chemicals when I have to!

1 tsp. Whiskey
1 tbsp. Liquid Dish Soap
1 tbsp. Hydrogen Peroxide
1 tsp Vitamin B-1
add this to 1/2 gallon of warm tea water

Feeding is very important and should be fed every 3 weeks because they work so hard to continuously bloom and produce large thick stems to produce the large abundant blooms you will have, if you follow these procedures! After you have fed the "Start Up Meal", three weeks later, feed this "meal"
15-30-15 Liquid Fertilizer mixed in a solution of weak instant tea
1 ounce of Liquid Dish Soap to each gallon of water

The third "meal" consists of these ingredients and are added to a gallon of Warm Water:

1\2 ounce of Liquid Fish Fertilizer
2 tbsp. instant tea
1 tsp. saltpeper
1 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. iron
1 oz. dry red wine

Each rose gets a Quart.

If you follow these instructions, you are sure to have the most beautiful roses on the block!

Check back tomorrow for Gardening Tips for Insect Control for Roses! I will be posting on a daily basis, since many of us will be planting our own vegetable gardens this year and will share some great information on how to do it "naturally"!

Let me know how your roses are coming along! If you have any ideas for natural gardening you want to share, please post them here!
Watch for more "Gardening Tip Junquee" posts from Mimi!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Thanks Mimi for the great tips on the roses. I love roses and try to grow them but I need all the help I can get, plus I need a gardner, Ha!

I wanted you to know that I sent my box to Megan yesterday. I have no idea how long it takes to get there.

I am having my first blog giveaway this weekend, be sure and visit my blog and sign up! I sort of used your idea, hope you don't mind.

Have a great day!