Friday, November 21, 2008

Flea Market Friday ~ Celebrate the Holidays with a Great Butter Cookie Recipe!

I am just about done with everything for the shows! YEAH, it's been quite hectic and honestly I didn't have time to think about "special cookie recipes" for Thanksgiving or Christmas. Every year after the shows, my daughter, granddaughter and I get together and make these wonderful cookies. This is an old recipe which I have used for about 35 years and you don't find it in the newer cookbooks, so I thought I would share it with everyone! Our cookie baking and fudge event has become a tradition in our house. I have had to rewrite it many times, because it just fades as the years go by, but the tradition will not fade, because my daughter also does it with my "little rose" and hopefully she will carrying on the tradition when she gets older! We all look forward to doing this, sometimes even the teenage girls from next door and across the street come and join in the fun! We also do ole fashioned popcorn balls! This is the one my husband gets involved in, because he loves them and they are too hot for us to make the balls, so it's his yearly job!

I would love to share the "Butter Cookie" Recipe with you! So here goes: (Looks like it's time to rewrite again, the paper is tattered and worn!!

1 cup butter
3/4 cup of sugar
1 egg (beaten)
1 teaspoon of Pure Vanilla
2-3/4 cups of white flour (not self rising)
1/4 teaspoon of salt
1/2 teaspoon baking powder

Work butter until soft, add sugar and beat until soft/creamy
add vanilla, stir to mix
add egg, stir until egg is blended well
add flour, 1 cup at a time, blend well
shape into ball, refrigerate for about 30-45 minutes
Roll dough out, a little thicker than piecrust (I do mine a bit thick) cut with your favorite cookie cutters.

Bake at 375 degrees for 10-12 minutes (this will depend on your oven), but we like our cookies soft, so if you like them a bit crisper, than bake 12-15 minutes. Remove from cookie sheet and frost with your favorite frosting (we use the buttercream frosting) and decorate to your hearts content!

I usually make 3/4 batches at one time, you can freeze the dough and just pull it out before the holidays or company arrives! The house will smell wonderful and your guests will love them!

I hope you enjoy these, they are the best tasting cookies! I received this recipe from a friend over 35 years ago and we have been doing them every year, watching our family grow and just making the most wonderful memories! Enjoy!!

Oh, let me know you like them, they are so good...


Mimi

SCROLL DOWN TO SEE MY FRIDAY FLEA MARKET
SPECIAL FINDS FOR THIS WEEK! 11-21-2008

1 comment:

Creative Minds said...

YYUMMY! I am gonna have to try this out. :)

Thanks for your visit to my blog. I too became a follower of your blog.

There will be many exciting things coming to my blog at the beginning of the year.

Also, right now, I am having a BOGO sale if you're interested.